Wednesday 31 December 2008

Last of the Christmas Pressies- wax canvases





Well, this is it, the last of my Christmas present photos! (I still have some more photos, but they are not from my mammoth present-making session). This is a triptych of small canvases- 4" x 5" and 5" x 5"- and is my first go with beeswax. I coated the canvases with beeswax and then ironed the image on and added more beeswax to blend. Then I dusted the canvases with a mixture of Perfect Pearls and Cosmic Shimmer mica powders to tint them- the effect reminds me of a picture I had when I was young which seemed to be printed on mother-of-pearl. I am not entirely happy with them as I would probably have added more elements and stamping, but as a first attempt, they are OK!

PS The photo was originally taken a couple of years ago with a dodgy old 1.2mp compact camera, and is of my nearest beach at Hayling Island- here is the original:

I wish we had light like that every day!

Happy new year everyone :D

5 comments:

Sarah said...

these are AMAZING

am now hoping this was my Christmas pressie and has got delayed in the post

ah, a girl can dream.... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look great!

TFS

Happy New Year

xxxxxxxx

Lorraine said...

I am fascinated by this technique as I have never come across it before..will have to work out how to do it I think as its very impressive

Phree said...

These are fabulous, this looks like a really fun technique to play with.

Moira said...

Fabulous pieces I see you have been having fun with your melt pot, still not sure about getting one but maybe!